Monday, May 16, 2011

Hunter's Moon

The moon was full yesterday. It's been a while since I've taken time to watch a moon rise. On Halloween, I noticed how close the moon was to being full and made a note in my head that I wanted to watch it rise on the second. On November first, I made my sister go on a walk with me around our neighborhood at five o'clock, the time of the moon rise. We walked five laps, around a mile and a quarter. The change we witnessed in the sky was drastic. The sun had just set when we were began walking, and by the time we were finished, the moon was up, the stars were out, and the sky was dark.

We followed the same pattern the next night to see the full moon of November 2nd. After walking another five laps, Sawyor went inside. I asked her to turn off our porch lights so I could see the moon and stars better. I sat on the trunk of my car, which wasn't all that comfortable. I sat there for about an hour, and in that time, a dozen or so airplanes passed over my head, two flocks of geese startled me, and quite a few fire engines went by in nearby streets. It took a while for the moon to be visible through the clouds, but when I could finally see it, the moment was well worth the wait. I took pictures, but they don't do it justice.


Written on 3 November 2009

No comments: